The Art of SEO, 2nd Edition: Mastering Search Engine Optimization
By Eric Enge, Stephan Spencer, Jessie Stricchiola, and Rand Fishkin
(O’Reilly, paperback, list price $49.99; Kindle edition, list price $39.99)
If you have a business website and also use social media, you likely have been bombarded with email messages , tweets or “comments” from spammers claiming to be “SEO experts.”
The four authors of this well-regarded and useful book really are experts in the field of search engine optimization (SEO). And their hefty book frequently is considered a must-have text for learning how to make online search work in ways that will help bring more customers or clients to your website.
The new, 688-page second edition of The Art of SEO “has been completely revamped and updated from the first edition, taking into account the changes in the search engine industry and the rising influence of social media,” the authors state.
This is not a book that you can zip through 1-2-3 and check “SEO” off your to-do list. Search engine optimization is a much bigger and more complicated task than you may realize. Fortunately, this well-written, well-organized and reasonably well-illustrated book “is designed to be a complete and thorough education on search engine optimization for SEO practitioners at all levels.”
The intended audience “includes web developers, development managers, marketing people, and key business personnel.” But even if you run a one-person shop with a website that is intended to draw customers or clients, you can learn useful techniques and new strategies from The Art of SEO, 2nd Edition. Just be prepared to study a bit. As the authors note, “[Y]ou can think of [this book] as SEO 101, SEO 102 and SEO 103.”
The book has 14 chapters:
- Search: Reflecting Consciousness and Connecting Commerce
- Search Engine Basics
- Determining Your SEO Objectives and Defining Your Site’s Audience
- First Stages of SEO
- Keyword Research
- Developing an SEO-Friendly Website
- Creating Link-Worthy Content and Link Marketing
- How Social Media and User Data Play a Role in Search Results and Rankings
- Optimizing for Vertical Search
- Tracking Results and Measuring Success
- Domain Changes, Post-SEO Redesigns, and Troubleshooting
- SEO Research and Study
- Build an In-House SEO Team, Outsource It, or Both?
- An Evolving Art Form: The Future of SEO
“Search has become integrated into the fabric of our society,” the four writers note. Worldwide, more than 158 billion searches are performed each month, and more than 5 billion searches are performed each day, they estimate.
If you want to be found more often in those searches, you definitely need to start paying closer attention to search engine optimization. And The Art of SEO, 2nd Edition can be your steady how-to guide and reference point.
– Si Dunn is a novelist, screenwriter, freelance book reviewer, and former software technical writer and software/hardware QA test specialist. He also is a former newspaper and magazine photojournalist. His latest book is Dark Signals, a Vietnam War memoir. He is the author of an e-book detective novel, Erwin’s Law, now also available in paperback, plus a novella, Jump, and several other books and short stories.